We have the gold Games Mark award!
The School Games Mark is a Government led award scheme launched in 2012, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community, and we are delighted to have been recognised for our success.
In 2018 we were validated by School Games and their feedback included these comments:
“Oakham CofE Primary School was awarded the Gold Mark award following the validation call, with a portfolio of evidence in place to support all areas of the Mark award. The evidence provided and examples discussed outlined the high level of activity taking place. The validation highlighted that the school was offering a very strong sports programme across all areas of the award, including:
- Offering a wide range of sports at both Level 1 (9) and Level 2 (12) of the School Games and the school provided a range of opportunities though ‘B’ and ‘C’ teams, supported by the SGO competition calendar structure. The school also had a good understanding of personal challenge and had some good examples of a student-led approach to elements of this.
- The school has 2 hours of PE for all at Key Stage 2 and will introduce elements of Real PE delivery in their schemes of work for next year too.
- The school utilised a tracking system for participation in School Games across the school and this allowed them to identify and then engage the less active population with new/adapted sports.
- There was evidence of a strong sports leadership programme in place which allowed 25 pupils to be involved in the delivery of School Games activity. The ‘Sport Crew’ met regularly and involved training for Year 5 and 6 students.
- The school also engaged well with local clubs and sports providers offering links into the community, and there were clear CPD opportunities for staff to develop their skills with sport specialists. The school should be proud of this application and the evidence collated as part of the process, in particular the journey they have undertaken through the other Mark award levels to get to Gold. Well done on your award, and good luck planning and delivering 2018-19.”
Read the full report here.
Our Ofsted report in September 2017 stated that: “Leaders use the additional funds from the physical education and sports grant to good effect. They have ensured that teachers have worked alongside coaches to improve their teaching and coaching skills. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a range of sports and competitions, within and beyond the school, including athletics, hockey, tag rugby, cross-country and football. The school makes good use of having its own swimming pool. The school has been successful in achieving the Silver School Games Mark.”